14 June 2007

Bouga Luv ready to run for charity


“Run Bouga run!” Sounds like a line from Forrest Gump, but it’s not. It’s Kabelo running the Comrades Marathon again, for charity again. Ever since Bouga turned the other cheek he’s been doing all these amazing things with his life, things I would never ever have associated with him say, in 1999 for instance.

Last year he helped raise about R250 000 for the charities he chose to support. This year he hasn’t reached that amount yet so he’s asking that we help him out by telling people about his efforts of trying to raise money for a charity that supports recovering drug addicts. Another great cause. I heard him on Yfm with Lee and AK, then on Metro FM speaking to Glen last week, and saw him on etv this morning. The boy is in seriously good shape and he should be ready to take on Poly Shorts. His time last year was just shy of 11 hours, which is quite good for a novice who happens to be a rich and famous kwaito artist. So R10 it costs per SMS to his line.

I think I was left with R15 in my phone balance this morning and I probably could have sacrifised the R10 for a good cause. After all, charity IS charity and often I donate to various charities myself. That was until it hit me that Bouga Two Shoes is a member of Rhema Bible Church, and that his chosen charity is a branch of his church! “What’s wrong with that?” I hear you ask. Nothing. Ok, one thing. Pastor Ray McCauley, leader of the church, is a multi-millionaire. Now without going into much more detail, for me it just sounded like Bill Gates going on a campaign for people to donate money to his “Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation”, which does excellent research and charity work all over the world, including Mzansi. Except Gates can afford to give his own money away, or at least some of it. I believe so can Pastor Ray.

For artists like Kabelo to highlight important societal issues is vital for our survival. For him to run for charity is certainly commendable. It just seems to me Pastor Ray, whom I know is running several charitable programmes already, should be giving a bit more than what he has so far. Bouga Luv should not be running short of his targets.

No comments: