14 August 2011

DVD REVIEW: GNOMEO & JULIET


GNOMEO & JULIET
DIRECTOR: Kelly Asbury
CAST: Voices – James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Jason Statham, Michael Caine, Patrick Stewart, Hulk Hogan

Animation has become a real family movie genre, no longer just confined to little nunus and their crèche friends. Gnomeo and Juliet is very much the tale of the love birds you had in mind, the tragic love story of Rome and Juliet. Except this one is set in two neighbouring gardens where a whole world, unseen by humans, exists. It’s the world of garden gnomes, one set blue the other red. The two human neighbours are also fierce rivals, which I guess rubbed off on their little creatures.


Each day the two gnome families engage in tough battles of supremacy. One of these days two young ones meet for the first time, and their names happen to be Gnomeo and Juliet. They of course fall in deep mad forbidden love, and cause untold drama in the neighbourhood. It’s timeless story, one we’ve heard/ read a thousand times before. And the guest voice list is quite impressive; it’s like the who’s who of British acting. Both adults and kids can sit through it with much satisfaction and entertainment.
RATING 4/5

SOURCE: MZANSINDABA

1 comment:

gman said...

I wouldn’t be surprised if this movie appealed to the British audience than an American one but then again I did think this movie was a bit dry. I am used to a Pixar caliber animated movie and although the animation was adequate, it lacked the cleverness we find with Pixar along with the double entendre’s that adults like so much. I love how convenient it was to watch this movie the other day when I was out of town on a business trip. I hooked my laptop up to the TV in my hotel room and pulled up the movie on my dishonline.com employee account. It was free for me as a customer and I agree that I would recommend this movie; it was very funny.